All foreign nationals can stay in the islands for 30 days. This can be extended by 15 days with permission. They require a permit to stay, which can easily be obtained on arrival at Port Blair (either by air or sea) from the immigration authorities. In addition permits can also be obtained from:
(i) Indian Mission Overseas,
(ii) Foreigners Registration Offices at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Calcutta.
(iii) The immigration authorities at the airports at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Calcutta.
The places covered by this permit for night halt are:
- South Andaman Island (except Jarwa reserve)
- Middle Andaman Island (except Jarwa reserve)
- Little Andaman Island (except Jarwa reserve)
- Neil Island
- Havelock Island
- Long Island
- Islands in the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park (Excluding islands – Boat Hobday, Twin, Tarmugli, Malay and Pluto) (Night halt with permission only).
- North Passage
For Day halt:
- Cinque Island
- Ross Island
- Narcondum Island
- Interview Island
- Brother Island
- Sister Island
- Barren Island – can be visited on board vessels only.
Indian nationals need no permit to visit Andamans. However, permits are required to visit Nicobar Islands and other tribal areas which are given on exceptional cases. Application on a prescribed form may be addressed to the Deputy Commissioner, Andaman District, Port Blair.