India can proudly boast about its 6,000 kilometer coastline as tourists are rapidly planning to visit India and spend their valuable time at one of the splendid beaches that this coastline comprises off. Tourists, be it domestic or international have been drawn to India’s beaches which spread across numerous states and share rich culture and heritage. Gone are the days when tourists used to long to visit beaches at the coastlines of Rio or the Maldives for that matter. Goa, Kerela, Tamil nadu and even some places around Mumbai have picturesque beaches.
On the onset, as the curiosity of tourists keep growing by the year, the search for new locations and shores are on full swing, with people striving to search for secluded and virgin beaches which present a cleaner and greener picture. But at the same time, there are some locations that will always be one of the best sites where people will always prefer to visit frequently. The top 5 beaches amongst many will surely catch the eye of any travel enthusiast are mentioned below.
- Kovalam – Kerela is famous for its beaches and better known as God’s own country, it is a state that has the Arabian Sea flowing right next to it. Kovalam is situated at Thiruvananthapuram. The word Kovalam means coconut groves, and the beach is a silent shore outlined by splendid and fully blossomed coconut trees swaying flawlessly in the wind. Among many beaches at Kovalam, the lighthouse beach is one of the best beaches among them. It is one of the best beaches on the 17 kilometre coastline with the old Vizhnijam Lighthouse standing tall amongst the groves as it turns out to be a breath-taking moment to watch the sun set and rise.
- Mahabalipuram – Situated in the state of Tamilnadu, this place is rich in history. It has an average elevation of 12 meters and is a seventh century city of the South Indian Dynasty. Situated just 60 kilometres away from Chennai city, it is a perfect destination to be at for a vacation. Classified by UNESCO as a World Heritage site, Mahabalipuram is a showcase of one of the pages lost in history books.
- Palolem – One of the places most visited by international tourists, Goa is a state that captivates the tourists with its magnificent beaches. Amongst all beaches of Goa, Palolem Beach is situated within 2 kilometres of the market town of Chaudi in the south Goan taluka of Canacona. The beach remains intact and is not harmed by the local fisherman and the tourists make sure that the beach is clean too. With a coastline that spreads across 1.61 Kilometres, the whole beach presents an awesome view of the whole coastline only because of the curved shape of the shoreline. Being one of the shallowest beaches in India, people can dare to venture far into the beach as compared to other locations.
- Gokarna – Gokarna is situated in the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka. It is a popular tourist destinationand is rich in culture as it is also a Hindu Pilgrimage centre. Sporting the Mahabaleshwar Temple, Gokarna Beach is one of the best known to beaches to most of the travel enthusiasts. The Temple is 1500 years old and is a sanctuary to the stone lings, encased in brass placed on a coiled stone serpent. The beach is calm and shore is guarded by greenery and tall mountains.
- Havelock Island – This island is named after a British general active in India; Henry Havelock. It is one of the islands that come under the Andaman and Nicobar Island territory. The Radhanagar beach is one of the best shorelines that the Havelock Island presents to the tourists. The crystalline beach waters enhance the view of the corals and a perfectly conserved beach. This location is a blessing for divers and tourists who are interested in getting a glimpse of the beautiful life underwater.